Many questions you have are common questions that every resident may be unsure about. The Housing & Residence Life staff is here to make sure you have all the information you need. If the questions and answers below do not give you what you are looking for, please ASK US.

Q: Why is it called a Residence Hall and not a Dorm?

A: To us, the word dorm simply means a place to sleep. Is that really all that you want out of your on-campus experience?  We don’t think so, and we want you to have more!

Our trained Housing and Residence Life staff offers you information, advice and support. They help develop an atmosphere of community living that will help you in your academic and personal growth. The staff also plans residential activities that are fun and enlightening, and will help you develop your individual wellness. For us, and we hope for you too, it is so much more than just a place to sleep at night. Living on campus is a vibrant community of friendship, activities, pride and ownership. See what we mean?

At Rutgers Camden, the term Residence Hall means a total campus living experience and we work hard every day to bring that to you. So, the next time you hear the word “dorm,” stop, think and remember: that’s not where your Rutgers-Camden living experience happens. We look forward to having you as a part of our community right here in our Residence Halls!

Q: What can/should I bring to campus with me?

A: One of the most frequent question from residents, especially our newest residents, is about what items they need to bring to the Residence Hall and what items they should leave at home. Please refer to the following website for more information, and feel free to contact our office if you have questions about a specific item not listed. What to Bring/What Not to Bring to Campus

Q: Who Is My RA?

A: Every floor in the residence hall has an RA assigned to it. Information about which RA’s are responsible for which floors can be found on the Housing & Residence Life staff information page.

Q: How do I receive mail as a campus resident?

A: You can set up a mailbox with our campus mailroom. There are three ways to do this: 1) during move-in the mailroom is usually present to set one up for you, 2) You can get your box number and combination by contacting the mailroom at (856) 225-6447, or 3) by walking over to the mailroom during business hours; it is located at 4 th and Lawrence Streets behind the Bursar’s Office.  

Q: What is there to do on campus?

A: The Offices of Campus Involvement and Housing & Residence Life sponsor many programs throughout the fall and spring semesters. Check out the campus “Things to do” page, there is a wealth of information about campus events including a campus calendar.

Q: I am bringing my car to campus with me; what should I do so that I don’t get a ticket?

 A: Residents who wish to park their car in the resident lot will need to purchase a parking permit. The Parking Department sends this information to you via email. If you missed it, you can go to their website or:

  • Take a copy of your car registration to the Parking Office located at 409 N. 4th Street. It is in the police station between the Rec Center and Armitage Hall. They will complete the rest of the paperwork you’ll need and give you the current parking rate.
  • Follow the instructions on the permit they issue you regarding permit and decal placement; in order to avoid ticketing you must have both the decal and hangtag in your vehicle.
Q: How do I become an RA?

A: During the end of the fall semester the Office of Housing & Residence Life posts announcements regarding available resident assistant positions and the hiring process. Look out for these announcements and submit an application in order to be considered for an RA position.  Another way to find out more- ask a current RA!

Q: Where can I go to get a vacuum?

A: The Office of Housing & Residence Life has vacuums you can check out during office hours.

Q: My roommate and I are having problems. What options do I have?

A: Not everyone will make a perfect connection with their roommate. First, try talking to your roommate about the issue you are having. Many times these issues are relatively easy to resolve and just require some discussion. Refer to the Roommate Resources website for some information and tips to accomplish this.

If it does not seem like talking between the two of you is getting the job done, Housing & Residence Life would be happy to assist. Start by contacting your RA and discussing the problems you are having and we will work out a plan of action; this may involve mediation, setting up a roommate agreement, reviewing Housing & Residence Life policies, or in some instances a room change.

Q: What does it cost to live here?

A: Costs for on-campus housing are determined each year by the Board of Governors, and are typically released in Late June or early July. You can refer to the following website where we publish this information. Click Here

Q: Where can I find information regarding the various policies that govern the residence halls (i.e. guests, alcohol, smoking)?

A: Each year the Office of Housing & Residence Life publishes an updated version of its living guide which contains all of these policies, and more. Please refer to the following website for more information. Click Here

Q: Are pets permitted in the residence halls?

A: Unfortunately, no. All pets, regardless of size or care level, are prohibited from being brought into the residence halls.

Q: How can I contact my family while I am living on-campus?

A: Due to wide-spread use and availability of cellular telephones, traditional landline telephone service is no longer available in the residence hall.  We recommend that students residing on campus look into bringing a cell phone with them to campus.

Q: I have a visitor coming; where can they park?

A: Visitors have 2 options for parking at Rutgers-Camden. They can utilize street parking at the meters on 2 nd or 3 rd street, or they can park in Lot 13. In order to park in Lot 13, they must have a valid visitor hangtag. These can be obtained from the Parking Office in advance of your visitor arriving to campus. If you visitor arrives after the Parking Office closes then their are permits for sale at dispatch.

Visitor parking permits cost $2 per day, and are valid until 9AM on the day after they are issued.

Q: Can I make changes to my housing contract after it is submitted?

A: Unfortunately, no. Once the contract is submitted, you cannot make changes. If you selected a calendar contract and you now wish to have only an academic contract, you will have to cancel your contract at the end of the spring semester and pay the cancellation fee. If you selected an academic contract and now wish to stay during the summer, you will need to complete a summer housing contract in the spring semester. Please come to the Office of Housing & Residence Life for more information.

Q: How can I submit an online maintenance request?

A: For a tutorial on how to submit a maintenance request please visit here.