Frequently Asked Questions and Ask A Question

Many questions you have are common questions that every parent of a resident may be unsure about. The Housing & Residence Life staff is here to make sure you have all the information you need to support your student’s decision to live on-campus. If the questions and answers below do not give you what you are looking for, please be sure to contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life for more information.


Q: What size bed linens do I need to send for my student?

A: All of the beds at Rutgers-Camden are size twin extra long.
Since extra-long bedding can be difficult to find, Housing & Residence Life has found a convenient, affordable option to ensure you have sheets that will fit the extra-long mattresses in our residence halls. The Residence Hall Linens program has all your campus living needs, from extra long twin sheets and comforters to matching towels and storage items. Free shipping is available on all Value Pak orders, and there are over 26 color combinations to choose from. Proceeds from this program go back to Housing & Residence Life and are used for programming in the residence halls. Please visit the RHL website


Q: Are rooms within the buildings co-ed?

A: No. The buildings are co-ed, and the floors are co-ed, but the individual apartments or suites are all female or all male.


Q: What should my son/daughter bring with them to campus? What can they leave at home?

A: We have made a whole separate page to address these very questions. Please click here for more information.


Q: Will someone at the University call and update me on my son/daughter’s progress in the residence hall?

A: No. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) precludes campus administrators from providing information about a student’s educational progress (which includes residence halls) to anyone without the student’s written consent. Please refer to our webpage on FERPA for more information.

We encourage healthy relationships between students and their families while they are at college. We do not want to be the wedge between a parent and child; however, we value a student’s decision regarding the release of information.


Q: Where do the live-in staff members reside?

A: The live-in administrative staff are provided on-campus accomodations in the Apartment Building. There is always at least one of these administrators on-site during the hours the Office of Housing & Residence Life is closed. There are also Resident Assistants (RA’s) that live among the residents in each building.


Q: How can I contact my son/daughter while they are on-campus?

A: The majority of Rutgers students come to campus with a cell phone that they use as their primary mode of contact with family, friends, and the University. Each room in both the Apartment building and Tower have a hard-wired phone near the front door that has been assigned a local telephone number. Your son or daughter can provide this number to you as an alternate phone number to reach them at.


Q: Where do I send mail so that my son/daughter receives it?

A: Each resident is assigned a mailbox by the campus mailroom. Your son/daughter should receive this box number during move-in. If you have questions about mail service, please contact the mailroom at (856) 225-6447.

The address is the following for regular mail:

Student’s Name

P.O. Box 93545


Camden, NJ 08102


If you are sending something via UPS, FedEx, etc., the address is the following:

Student’s Name

326 Penn Street

Camden, NJ 08102


Q: How is security handled for residents?

A: Rutgers-Camden has the advantages of only having one entrance and exit for its residence halls, and controlled access for guests. There is a security officer, who is supervised by our Rutgers Police Department, stationed in the main entrance of the building 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. This officer checks for valid resident stickers on resident ID cards, handles guest registration for all visitors coming into the building, and monitors a camera panel that overlooks several common areas within the building.

Our security plan provides a very comfortable living atmosphere within the residence halls.


Q: Where can I get information about the meal plans?

A: Please go to the following website for meal plan and Camden Cash information. “Meal Plans”


Q: Is there a location on campus to do laundry?

A: Yes. Within the residence halls there are 2 laundry rooms (1 in each building) that residents can use to do their laundry. We have a total of 16 washers and 16 dryers between the two rooms which can be operated by inserting quarters or by swiping an ID card preloaded with Camden Cash. We recommend that all residents maintain some Camden Cash on their account for this purpose; you can never find enough quarters when its time to do laundry.

Also, all of the machines in both laundry rooms are linked to an electronic system where students can go online to see the status of the laundry room. This system can also notify them via e-mail or text message to a cell phone when machines become available, or when their particular wash cycle has been completed.


Q: What happens if my son/daughter has a problem with their roommate?

A: Not everyone will make a perfect connection with their roommate. We try to get the students to try talking to their roommate about the issues they are having. Many times these issues are relatively easy to resolve and just require some discussion. We have supplied resources to the students via a Roommate Resources website that has tips and information to accomplish this.

If it does not seem like talking is getting the job done, a Housing & Residence Life staff member will step in and assist. We ask that residents start by contacting their RA and discussing the problems they are having. In consultation with an Area Coordinator, a plan of action will be developed; this may involve mediation, setting up a roommate agreement, reviewing Housing & Residence Life policies, or in some instances a room change.

One of the best things a parent can do to help in this instance is to help your son/daughter report the problem to an RA sooner rather than later. Our staff is well-trained to handle roommate problems, but can only act on what we know.


Q: What happens if my son/daughter gets sick while away at school?

A: Hopefully your student will be healthy the entire time they are away at school. However, this is not always the case. Rutgers-Camden has a Health Services Office, which essentially is a doctor’s office. There is a doctor and a team of nurse practitioners that care for our student population. Please refer to the Health Services website for more information.

Also, if your son/daughter will be entering Rutgers University-Camden with a medical condition, please contact us so that we can make arrangements to continue medical care while your son/daughter is at school.



Ask Residence Life A Question